Sunday, February 19, 2012

How can I stop my materialistic desires....

I'm still trying to figure out my "groove" and rhythm.  I am slowly gaining more energy to last through the work weak.  Lately, it has been difficult to stay focussed and energized.  I have to pray and ask you, Father for more strength and wisdom and remember that you are at the heart of my teachings.  I pray Father, that you will allow me to follow in Christ's foot steps and teach with the same passion, heart and soul.  We started to looking at some open houses this weekend just so we had an idea of what we could "afford" if we wanted to move.  I'm a little torn... what we have now is great and more than what we need, but there is always this desire of mine to "upgrade"... yes... my materialist nature...

Matthew 19:16-30
The Young Rich Man
This is the perfect passage for me... Thanks God.  In this passage a rich man asks Jesus how he can enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  Jesus tells him to follow and obey all 10 commandments.  The rich man told Jesus he has followed and obeyed all commandments, how else could he please God.  To this Jesus told him to sell all his materialistic possessions, give the money to the poor and follow him, become one of Jesus' disciples.  To this, the rich man bowed his head in shame, for this was something he was unable to give up... I can see myself reacting the same way as this rich man. I could see myself selling off some of my possessions, but to sell all and take up the cross, leaving everything behind... that's scary... but that would be living entirely on God's will...

Romans 16:17-27
Paul's Final Instructions
Paul asks us to steer clear of those who cause divisions and upset people's faiths.  From our sermon today, our Pastor tells us that is our duty, to bring our lost brothers and sisters home, home to God through the love of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment